1 cup rice
1 big lemon size Tamarind
3-4 tbsp Groundnuts
2 tsp grated Jaggery(optional)
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Chana dal
1 tbsp Urad dal
3-4 dry Red chillies
5-6 light colored(less spice) Green chillies,slit
1 tsp Turmeric powder
a pinch of Asafoetida
a sprig of Curry leaves
2-3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and add 2 cups of water and soak it for 15-20 mins.
- Pressure cook the rice or cook it in electric rice cooker or how ever you usually do.
- Once the rice is done,cool it completely by spreading it over wide plate smear with 1 tsp of oil and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of water for 10-15 mins or microwave the tamarind mixture for 1 min.Microwave method is quite quick when u have lack of time.
- After it is cooled down remove the pulp and add grated jaggery and mix well until it is melted completely.
- In a kadai heat oil and crackle the mustard seeds,add groundnuts and fry until they turn slight red.
- Add chana dal,urad dal,red chillies,green chillies and fry for a couple of minutes until done.
- Add curry leaves,asafoetida and turmeric powder and fry for a minute and then add tamarind pulp mixture and mix until the mixture thickens completely for at least 5-6 mins.Add enough salt to it and mix.
- Now remove it from the stove and let it cool a bit and reserve some mixture and pour the remaining mixture over the cooled rice and mix properly until everything is well blended.
- Now check the taste of it and add more tamarind mixture or salt according to your taste.
- It should taste sour when you taste it as the sourness will reduce and blend well along with the time it sits.
Let it sit for 2-3 hrs before serving.