1 Kg red chillies large pieces
2 cups mustard oil
2 table-spoons mustard seeds
3 table-spoons cumin seeds
2 table-spoons fennel seeds
5 red chillies dry
8-10 table-spoons mustard powder
4 table-spoons raw mango powder
15 table-spoons salt
Lemon juice 5 lemons
1 table-spoon asafetida
- Wash and dry the chillies. Trim the stems.
- Slit the chillies up to just under the stem. Scoop out all the inner flesh and seeds and discard. Oil your hands a bit before you do this and you’ll save yourself from the chillies’ burn!
- Roast the dry red chillies, mustard seeds and fennel seeds on a low flame. Cool and grind coarsely.
- Mix with the mustard powder, raw mango powder and salt. Add the lemon juice to this mix to make a thick paste.
- Stuff each chilli well with the paste.
- Put the chillies in a dry, wide-mouthed glass pickling jar.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan and when very hot add the asafetida and immediately turn off the fire.
- Pour this oil over the chillies in the jar.
- Seal the jar and keep it out in the sun for a week to ten days. The longer you keep it out in the sun the better the pickle tastes! Shake gently each day to make sure the oil coats the chillies well.