2½ cups whole milk
6 tablespoons sugar
A pinch of cardamom powder optional
2 tablespoons curd
- Boil milk on medium to low flame for about 15 minutes. Till the milk reduces to 2 cups from 2½ cups.
- Add 3 tablespoons of sugar to the milk and mix well till the sugar dissolves in it.
- Let the milk cool down. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- In a tadka pan or a small vessel, add the remaining 3 tablespoon of sugar and heat it on low flame till it melts and get caramelized. Be cautious while doing this as it will not take even a minute to get caramelized and turn black if the flame is not turned off. You can also turn off the flame the moment the sugar melts, the remaining heat of the vessel is enough to do the rest of the work.
- Add the caramelized sugar to the milk and mix well until it is fully dissolved in the milk.
- Transfer the milk into matkas and add 1 tablespoon of curd to it and stir it.
- Leave the milk to become curd for at least 6-8 hours. You can keep the matkas in a dark warm place for this.