1 large brinjal approx 500g or near to it
1 cup whisked curd room temperature
½ cup onion finely chopped
2-3 green chillies chopped/slit
salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
A pinch of hing
1 strand of curry leaves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon urad dal optional
- Take a large brinjal and cleanly wipe it with a kitchen cloth.
- Apply a little bit of oil to the entire brinjal and place it on high flame.
- Roast it on all sides till it turns black and cuts are formed on the peal.
- Place the brinjal in a bowl of cold water and let it cool.
- Remove the peal of the brinjal and place it in a bowl.
- Add curd, salt, onion and chillies to the brinjal and mix it well.
- Take a tadka pan and heat some oil in it.
- Add hing to the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and give a light stir.
- Once the mustard seeds starts popping, add urad dal to it.
- Fry it till the urad dal turns golden color. It adds a little bit of crunchiness while eating.
- Add curry leaves to it and turn off the flame. The remaining heat of the oil is enough for the curry leaves to be cooked.
- Transfer the tadka into the bharta bowl.
- Enjoy the Baingan ka Bharta with rice or roties of your choice.